Wednesday, August 17, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - Memphis Magic by Andrea Hagan


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
Memphis Magic Series

 

Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Andrea Hagan's Memphis Magic Series!


***Synopis***

A kitchen witch holds a séance and accidentally summons a demon who unintentionally possesses her. You know, it’s the classic boy meets girl story. 

The series follows Aubry Brooks, a twenty-four-year-old witch who runs the metaphysical shop Memphis Magic with her kooky grandma and healthnut aunt. 

Book 1 follows the saga of Aubry's possession with the sexy half-incubus Damion Blackmon, and trying to solve her best friend’s cold case murder. 

In Book 2, Obsession, we get more of Aubry and Damion and a new adventure. 

Book 3 shifts to Charlotte and Gabe’s pov, friends we met in Book 1. 



What is the sub-genre and trope?  Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

Memphis Magic is one big magical genre mashup. 

Paranormal romance

Cozy mystery

Rom com

Romance


Are you more character or plot driven? 

Tough one, but I’d say character. 


With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind?  Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

Nope, I write in chaos.



I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

The characters told me who they were; I just transcribed 😆


Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know? 

Not really, no. 


Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know? 

No. 


Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other? 

Yes, but I can’t get into it without giving away spoilers. 


What is your favorite book in the series?

Tough one. I’m still writing. 

In my mind, when I began I said this was going to be a three book series. I’m now planning on 10 books!


I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why? 

Aubry. 

She’s such a great FMC. She’s not a Mary Sue or perfect and I love that about her. 

She’s witty and snarky and strong, and someone I’d like to hang out with. 


Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics? 

Aubry and Damion will forever be my favorite. 

Their dynamic and banter is like watching a tennis match - volleying back and forth. They’re just so much fun!


How do you get inside these character’s heads to find their perfect HEA? 

I didn't; they’re in my head!


What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you?  Why? 

Since only Book 1 is published at this time, I don’t want to give away spoilers. 

But if you’ve read Book 1, the mirror scene. 😉


Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others? 

Yeah, I probably had the toughest time with Book 3, Charlotte and Gabe’s book. 

Something happened to her in Book 1 that gets fleshed out in Book 3. It's not a super dark book, but there will be a TW.


This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book.  It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series.  I feel that it gives the story further depth.  Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline?

Books 1 and 2 are from Aubry’s POV. Books 3 and 6 are dual. And future books will be dual. 

This is intentional, as I didn’t want the reader to know everything about Damion. We’ll learn more about him as the series progresses. 


How long did it take you to write this book/series? 

I started writing during the beginning of the pandemic in March of 2019, and have completed 6 books in the series. 


How did you come up with the title for your book and series? 

The metaphysical shop is called Memphis Magic. The series is set in the city of Memphis. I’m a Tennessean and used to live there. 


If you met these characters in real life would you get along? 

Yes! I love all the ladies in Aubry’s witch circle. 

Plus, with Damion Blackmon, what’s not to love?


Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story? 

I thought it was going to be a 3 book series. Ha!


If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

Tough one! It’d have to be an actress with a legit southern accent for Aubry. 

Henry Cavill vibes for Damion. 


Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease?

Here is the blurb for Book 2, Obsession:

They say some stones are better left unturned. I’m learning that lesson the hard way. My name’s Aubry Brooks and here’s the thing—I have myself a coven problem.

I found my mama’s book of shadows, and it's clear she didn’t share my magical philosophy of do no harm. She was hiding us from someone, but meeting her former coven only leads to more questions.

When the Angel of Death’s scythe goes missing, I realize things aren’t what they seem. No worries, the Mystery Gang is on the case. For the record, my sexy half-Incubus boyfriend Damion Blackmon does not agree to our group nickname. The broody detective Chris Sullivan doesn’t agree to much of anything, but that's his problem, not mine.

Pull up a chair and let’s work some kitchen magic. A word of warning—do not listen to Grandma’s nonsense about a love triangle, she’s delusional. Another word of warning—do not listen to Aunt Callie’s nonsense about a smoothie challenge, she’s sadistic.

Welcome to the metaphysical shop Memphis Magic.

 

 Check out all my interviews/reviews for Andrea Hagan!
https://readingbydeb.blogspot.com/2022/08/author-at-glance-andrea-hagan.html


Bio:

Andrea Hagan has been a writer her whole life...she just didn't know it. As a child, she would watch soaps with her mom, and then lie awake at night and come up with dialogue in her head for the characters. She'd get "the look" in church when she was writing angst-filled poetry and song lyrics in the blank corners of the Sunday bulletin. So she did what any good writer does, and that's ignore her calling and get an accounting degree, followed by a law degree. She would like to state for the record that she is a reformed lawyer, emphasis on reformed.

Andrea writes sweet and spicy romance with a side of magic. Fantasy, witchcraft, demonology and angelology, mysticism and the occult, if it goes bump in the night, add a little romance with a HEA, and she's your girl!

Connect with Andrea:


Email: 

Website: 

Amazon: 

Goodreads: 

BookBub:

Facebook: 

Facebook Group:

Instagram: 

TikTok: 

Newsletter Sign-Up: 




POSSESSION by Andrea Hagan
Memphis Magic - Book One

Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I’m learning that lesson the hard way. My name’s Aubry Brooks, and here’s the thing—I’ve got myself a little possession problem.

Yes, I lead a séance I had no business leading in the first place. No, I’m not a channeler of spirit, but let me explain. I was only trying to help a mother find her missing daughter, and then a cocky half-incubus had the nerve to possess me! You’d think a clairvoyant kitchen witch would have seen this coming.

No need to panic. I can figure out a way to exorcise Damion Blackmon, assuming I can withstand his seduction in the meantime. Oh, and he’s agreed to help me find out who killed my best friend. Deals with devils. I'm not sure if it's my soul or my heart that's at risk.

But don’t worry, my grandma was a voyeur in a past life and she'll catch you up to speed. In extremely graphic detail. A word of warning—do not let my aunt talk you into a juice cleanse. Nothing magic about that, I promise.

Welcome to the metaphysical shop Memphis Magic.

Author's Note: Possession is book 1 of the Memphis Magic series. If you like witches and demons; forced proximity with a twist; quirky characters; laugh out loud moments; mystery; smoking hot slow burn; steam; grumpy cat; and even grumpier police detective, then this series is for you. And you don't even have to sell your soul to read it. For content warning for all books in the Memphis Magic series, please go to the author's website.



OBSESSION by Andrea Hagan
Memphis Magic - Book Two

Get your copy today!

BLURB:

They say some stones are better left unturned. I’m learning that lesson the hard way. My name’s Aubry Brooks and here’s the thing—I have myself a coven problem.

I found my mama’s book of shadows, and it's clear she didn’t share my magical philosophy of do no harm. She was hiding us from someone, but meeting her former coven only leads to more questions.

When the Angel of Death’s scythe goes missing, I realize things aren’t what they seem. No worries, the Mystery Gang is on the case. For the record, my sexy half-Incubus boyfriend Damion Blackmon does not agree to our group nickname. The broody detective Chris Sullivan doesn’t agree to much of anything, but that's his problem, not mine.

Pull up a chair and let’s work some kitchen magic. A word of warning—do not listen to Grandma’s nonsense about a love triangle, she’s delusional. Another word of warning—do not listen to Aunt Callie’s nonsense about a smoothie challenge, she’s sadistic.

Welcome to the metaphysical shop Memphis Magic.




HEAL ME by Andrea Hagan
Memphis Magic - Book Three

Get your copy today!

BLURB:

Charlotte

I’ve fallen down a very deep, dark rabbit hole, and I fear there’s no end in sight. Kidnapped by a psychotic energy vampire, I’m now free, trying to put the shattered pieces of my life back together. But now I’m questioning if that old life is even worth salvaging. Not when I look around this new, mysterious world I’ve entered—a world of angels and demons, witches and magic. A world where I’m questioning who I really am, and what I really want. And if I’m being honest, what I really want includes a certain Nephilim. Gabe and I have become friends, but I can’t imagine any world in which a sexy being such as him could to be more than just friends with a damaged girl such as me.

Gabe

When Charlotte walked into the metaphysical shop Memphis Magic, it felt like a Watcher angel sucker punched me in the gut. I’ll do anything to get to know her, and anything to protect her. She’s not the only one with baggage, but when I unload mine, could someone as sweet and loving as Charlotte love a Nephilim like me?

Author’s note: Heal Me is part of the Memphis Magic Series, and is not a standalone. It can be read after Book 1 or Book 2, your choice. If you like angels and demons, witches and magic, friends to lovers, humor, heat, and healing journeys, then this book is for you. Please check the author's website for TW.



No comments:

Post a Comment