Wednesday, July 21, 2021

INTERVIEW with MJ ROBERTS


First, I want to thank MJ ROBERTS for taking the time for this interview!

Do you like Rock 'n Roll? 
How about sexy heart-throb musicians? 
Ever wanted an All Access Pass at a concert? 
MJ Roberts gives you an inside look into the life of Rock 'n Roll and stories that will have your panties melting!  Her characters are full of life and will touch your heart.

I highly recommend her Rock 'n Roll series of books!


Bio:

M. J. Roberts is known for lovable characters, witty dialogue, exciting plot twists, fast-paced action, and romance scenes that sizzle.
With more than two million copies of her stories in circulation worldwide, Roberts is well loved for creating characters who feel as real as your most cherished friends. 
M.J. Roberts is the author of twenty novels, including the popular Rock Hard Series and over forty short stories; she’s won six literary awards including the Literotica Summer Lovin’ Contest 2015 for Risk Your Heart and the April 2019 gold medal from Literary Titans for Rock Hard: Chord Brothers, Book 1.
Roberts is also an editor, audiobook narrator, and professor of creative writing. A modestly humble egomaniac with a penchant for superheroes, she’s married to an awesome professional musician (a.k.a. The Rock and Roll God).  Her ‘I’m with the band’ status and access to a bunch of real-life alpha bad boys means she’s always saying ‘Anything you say can and will appear in print. Names will be changed to protect the guilty.’

She is too busy tormenting imaginary characters, watching them fall in love, and counting her blessing to pursue her longtime goal of rock n’ roll glory herself. A self-proclaimed nap expert, in her dreams she’s a rock star.


 

When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I always wanted to be both a rock star and a NYT best-selling author.  I was about eleven when I began to buckle down seriously on the writing.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Sure.  Lots.  Still do.  Anne McCaffery, for one.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

YES!!!  Anything you say can and will be used in print; names will be changed to protect the guilty.  Considering my main thing right now is rock and roll romance, and I’m married to a well-known rock and roller, and truth is stranger than … no comment.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

See above.  Ha ha.  Only partially kidding.  Mostly other books.  I read A LOT!!!  Like…okay, I’m almost embarrassed to say how much.  Every page gives me sixteen more ideas, and they all run in my head.  I obviously can’t write 99.99 percent of them, or I’d never get the ones I commit to completed.

But if I’m reading werewolves, aliens, hockey players, and serial killers, you can bet I’ve got those four lines of stories rolling around in my head, talking, setting up conflict, fighting, having sear-your-toes-off sex, all while I’m doing the dishes.

Then I sit back down to my rock and roll world and also to my screenwriting projects.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I’m a let the characters lead the way kind a gal.  I have a basic “outline” in a chart, that is based on a four act structure, and works on all books.  I consult it and ignore it regularly, which always leads me into trouble mid book.  Still, I just listen to my characters and take dictation.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

No.  I write the book first, then find models and actors (if I want it made into a series) that can play the character.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.  What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

I’m not sure I even understand this question, because obviously reading fiction IS IT.  However, if you are asking do I like reading in the hot tub, the back yard, the front yard, the living room, in bed, and on the toilet, then the answer is yes.  If you are asking do I have a favorite place to read, no.  All places are equally valid as long as I’m reading.  Outdoors is nice.  Wait, so is the tub.  And the bed.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

YES!  Okay, hold on, here we go.  Lauren Blakely, T. S. Joyce, S. J. Sanders, Lauren Rowe, Amanda Milo, Cristen Harber, Kayley Loring, (take a deep breath, you don’t have to mention everybody) obviously J. R. Ward is a fabulous beast and I love her, and can we just talk Lauren Rowe for a moment?  Yikes!  That woman does it all.  Oh, Ruby Dixon, I read everything she writes.  I also like Honey Phillips.  I should make a list.  Seriously though, have you read Kayley Loring?  It’s like eating one potato chip.


What are your favorite books by others?

See above.  Lover At Last by J. R. Ward is a particular favorite.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Yes and no.  Depends on the book. In my Rock Hard series, books 1 – 6, they are on tour and every day is in a new city, so the locations are a big deal.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Depends. The Rock Hard series is alternating POV.  Most of the books are about 70% male lead POV/ 30% female lead POV.  All of my books before that were single POV.  I think my fans like the alternating better.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Google.


Do you write under a pen name?

Yes.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Contemporary romance.  It’s what I most like to read.  It’s hot and relevant.


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.   Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky traits....what led to you being you?

Hoooo…boy.  I have a Masters degree in creative writing.  I teach at Heritage University, including a course that uses superhero movie scripts to teach writing conflict.

I have a compulsive overeating disease I treat multiple ways, yet is regularly out of control.

I didn’t get married until I was older.  Until two years ago, most of my family had no idea I was famous, because I didn’t tell them my pen name.  I didn’t want them reading any sex scene I wrote.


If you are a duo writing team, how do you share the writing process?

N/A, but if you are a writer reading this and you want to be part of a duo, hit me up.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

KEEP A WRITING LOG!!!  It’s a job.  Clock in by keeping a log.

 

CONNECT w/ MJ:

EMAIL:

WEBSITE: 

INSTAGRAM:

No comments:

Post a Comment