Wednesday, July 21, 2021

INTERVIEW with MONICA ARYA

 


First, I want to thank Monica Arya for taking the time for this interview!


Monica Arya's debut novel Saved by You put Monica on my must-buy author's list!  

You not only get to know the leading characters but the secondary characters are also fully developed making this a full-bodied story full of suspense and steamy hot sex and romance.

But, I have to warn you....have your Kleenex handy because it is a tear-jerker!


Author Bio:

Monica Arya is an Indian American and Charlotte, North Carolina native but currently resides in South Carolina. She's living her own happily ever after with her high school sweetheart, two beautiful children and Goldendoodle.

She's known for never being shy and her witty humor. Besides writing, she enjoys going to the beach, spicy food, and spontaneous dance parties. You'll often find her sipping flavored, sparkling water and sneaking chocolate chips.

After dreaming up countless romance stories, she decided it was time to tell her own.


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

My entire life even as a child, I adored writing.  It was always a therapeutic way for me to really express myself.  I had poetry and newspaper articles published when I was younger and now publishing novels has been such an amazing experience and calling for me. 


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I truly love a wide range of genres and respect so many talented authors.  When I was younger, J.K. Rowling, Nicholas Sparks, and F. Scott Fitzgerald were writers I was captivated by.  I loved how unique each were in their writing styles. 


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Yes!  I love taking bits and pieces of people in real life and even myself, turning them into characters.  I find it makes them more relatable and personable.  I’ll just keep my readers guessing on what’s real and what’s imaginative. 


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

My debut, and current work in progress all have real life experiences and inspirations.  I love combining the elements of reality with fiction to really give that emotional pull. 


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

Let the characters lead the way.  I always say I’ll plan and outline, but my heart and mind come together and let the characters tell their story.  I think that really helps them develop their unique personalities that draw us to them. 


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

I love mood boards, but overall they are just figments of my imagination pieced together. 


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.   What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Writing, reading, and going to the beach! 


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I’ve been really loving indie authors and debut authors, however as a mom of two toddlers, I have to often choose between writing and reading so lately I’ve been in a really fun writing kick. 


What are your favorite books by others?

The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald), The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks), Behind Closed Doors (B.A. Paris), and so many more but those are three that really have left a mark on my memory for specific reasons. 


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

Sometimes.  For my debut, it takes place in Boston because of Harvard…I’m from North Carolina and live in South Carolina so there is mention of Charleston, which is my favorite coastal city.  My next book has more meaningful cities in it and that’s been fun to explore. 


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Romance - Dual POV

Psychological Thriller - Mostly single, but I’ll add another perspective in a chapter sometimes. 


What do you find to be your best research tool?

Real-life experiences, people we all know, dreams, fantasies, all combined. 


Do you write under a pen name?  Also, do you write under more than one name?

Yes, just one pen name even though I write two different genres. 


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romance and Psychological Thriller.  I always say, “life is better with love and thrill.” 

I prefer romantic suspense, and steamy romance for a true emotional pull and escape and then I love psychological thriller to explore that darker side. 


Tell me something about yourself outside of writing.  Jobs, accomplishments, family, quirky traits....what led to you being you?

I married my high school sweetheart, mom of a three and one year old and golden doodle.  I’ve been a photographer, teacher, professional dancer, and stay at home mom before adding author to the list.

We went to Rome, Venice, Paris and London for our honeymoon and to this day I think that was the dreamiest vacation to truly be immersed in gorgeous cultures, and cities.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Don’t listen to the excuses you keep telling yourself on why you shouldn’t write. 

Just write.  Tell your story. 

I wrote my entire debut mostly on my iPhone note document, while rocking and feeding my second child, and caring for my wild toddler.  I had no idea how to publish, and didn’t even have a dedicated instagram, etc for this.  I just took the plunge for myself, and it’s so worth it! 



Connect w/ Monica:



Check out my reviews of Monica Arya books!


Get your copy now!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!


No comments:

Post a Comment