Friday, August 5, 2022

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - THE MEN Series by Elle Nicoll

 


THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY
The Men Series


Get a behind-the-scenes all-access pass to Elle Nicoll's The Men Series!


***Synopsis***

Each book is a standalone, but characters overlap and appear in other books in the series. (A brother/sister/friend etc.)

 

What is the sub-genre and trope?  Did your characters lead you to this genre or was that decided before the story began?

Steamy contemporary romance. 

Pleasing Mr. Parker is a grumpy boss, billionaire workplace romance. This trope was planned earlier in the series, and Mr. Parker is first mentioned as a business associate of the hero in Book 2 (Discovering Mr. X)

 

Are you more character or plot driven?

My stories are character led on their emotions, but do also have strong plot lines alongside the romance.

 

With many main and secondary characters, how do you keep them separated in your mind?  Do you have a story/vision board above your workspace?

No, but I should! I just have them all in my head. 

I know them each individually and know what they would say and how they would react in a given situation.

 

I know from previous interviews that characters take on a life of their own.  Were any of the characters in this series determined to take their own direction instead of where you initially wanted them to go?

Yes. In the next book of the series, Trapped with Mr. Walker (coming soon), the main character, Reed Walker, took an entirely different route to what I originally plotted. 

I didn’t even know until I was writing the part that sent the story in a different direction. But it felt right, and made the story what it is.

 

Are any of the male POVs based on anyone you know?

No. Although some of the jokes Blake Anderson makes in Captured by Mr. Wild (Book 4) were inspired by my husband.

 

Are any of the female POVs based on anyone you know?

No. Although Holly, in Meeting Mr. Anderson (Book 1), is a British long-haul flight attendant. Which is a job I did for 13 years before writing.

 

Was there any one character/scene that was harder to write about than the other?

Jaxon King in Book 3, Drawn to Mr. King was hard to write. He is going through something extremely challenging, which he is keeping secret. And he is also grieving a loss. 

His story is emotional and resonated with some personal life events that had happened to me at the time.

 

What is your favorite book in the series?

I can’t pick! They’re all my book babies.

 

I know that we aren’t supposed to have “favorites” as far as our children, but seriously, who’s your favorite character and why?

I love them all for different reasons. But Griffin Parker in Pleasing Mr. Parker was so fun to write. 

He’s grumpy and up-tight, but went through a huge transformation. And he was also really fun to wind up with some events that occur in the story.

 

Series question - Who is your favorite couple and why did you decide on their dynamics?

Again, no favourite. But I love how Tanner pursues Rachel relentlessly in Discovering Mr. X (Book 2). 

She’s closed off to him and to love. And he has to work HARD to gain her trust and affection. Their story was definitely a case of ‘he falls first’ and ‘he only has eyes for her’. 

I love the push and pull of their relationship, and the slow gain of trust.

 

How do you get inside these character’s heads to find their perfect HEA?

I like to have themes in my books. So for instance, Pleasing Mr. Parker has a strong bird and water theme. Griffin Parker loves his boat and being on it, and being by the water calms him. So it made sense to me that his HEA would include elements of these in the final scenes.

Each story is different, but if the hero has messed up, then I do love some good groveling. But sometimes it’s the heroine that has to go after the hero and put things right and open herself up and be vulnerable.

 

What scene in this book/series sticks out the most for you?  Why?

In Pleasing Mr. Parker, it’s a scene where Griffin has shut Maria out and hurt her. And he comes home and they fight. 

But it’s the passion he has for her and realizing that he actually cares that he’s hurt her, that makes him open up and show his heart for the first time. 

I won’t give too many spoilers, but it’s a pivotal scene between them.

 

Series - Were any of the books harder to write than others?

They all have their more challenging scenes. It’s like being on a rollercoaster with every new book.

 

This question is if you write in MULTIPLE POVs not just the hero and heroine - I love the multiple POVs in a book.  It’s not just the hero and heroine, but we get inside the heads of multiple characters throughout this series.  I feel that it gives the story further depth.  Do you think you will write another book or series following this multiple POV outline? (if applicable)

It's not something I have thought about yet.

 

How long did it take you to write this book/series?

I began writing in September 2020.

 

How did you come up with the title for your book and series?

I wanted something that linked together. Each book is different, though. Different tropes, some more emotional, some more suspenseful. 

So they are purely named after the main male character by surname. It just felt right to do it like that.

 

If you met these characters in real life would you get along?

I’m pretty shy so I think I would get on great with all the girls, as they’re all very friendship driven and supportive. 

The guys are big characters! But they all love hard once they fall, and I think it would be amazing to be a part of friendship groups where there is that level of love and respect amongst everyone. 

I definitely think Tanner (Mr. X) and Blake (Mr. Wild) would be easy to get along with. They’re cheeky and fun and would put someone at ease.

 

Series question – Did you know in advance that you were going to write this as a series or did one of the characters in book one demand their own story?

I knew it would be a series. I love reading inter-connected standalones, so this is what I planned to write.

 

If your book/series were made into a movie, which actors do you see as playing your characters?

There are so many amazing actors. I love Lily James, Lucy Hale, Henry Cavill. They are who immediately spring to mind.

 

Can you give us a hint as to what we can expect next?  Whether a new book and series or a sequel to an existing series?  Can you share a small tease?

Trapped with Mr. Walker is next in the series. It’s a fake dating trope. 

Reed Walker is running for New York Mayor and wants a girlfriend to help him during his campaign. He first appears in Pleasing Mr. Parker, and is a total playboy with a weakness for blondes. 

But his book is probably going to surprise people. He has a huge growth throughout the story, and we see a very different side to him emerge. I absolutely adore his story. It’s got a lot of depth to it and features some very important topics.

 



BIO:

Elle Nicoll is a British author, and ex long-haul flight attendant, who spent years travelling the world and dreaming up stories whilst trying to stay awake on night flights.

She writes very steamy, emotional, swoony, contemporary romance novels, all based around love.

Elle loves putting her characters through challenges that make them grow from the beginning of the story, until their HEA. They have to fight hard for it... but when they get there, it's so worth it.

All of Elle's characters are different. Whether they are a brooding CEO, the best friend who always held the heroine in his heart, a Hollywood heartthrob, or a silver fox with gentlemanly manners and a deliciously filthy tongue. They are all unique and infuriating in their own way.

Because no one is perfect.

When Elle isn't writing she is either trying to look like a parent who knows what they're actually doing, on her spinning bike (the source of where many ideas come to her), or getting excited about adding to her crystal collection (Yes, she loves them. Those and vegan candles).

It means the world to Elle that you're reading her stories, and she loves to hear from readers.

Connect with Elle:

Email:
Readers contact via message option on website, or by DM on social media

Website:

Amazon:

GoodReads:

BookBub:

Facebook:

Facebook Group:

Instagram:

Newsletter Sign-Up:



MEETING MR. ANDERSON

Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

Some people go to Hollywood to chase their dream.

My Hollywood dream is in seat 4A.

After the stunt my ex pulled, no one would blame me if I swore off men forever, especially one like Mr Jay Anderson, Hollywood’s sexiest heartthrob.

Maybe undressing me with his striking blue eyes as I perform the safety demonstration on a flight to LA is normal behaviour for him.

Maybe not.

But I know one thing for sure, he should come with a warning label.

Because once you meet a man like Jay Anderson, there is no going back.

With his dirty blonde hair and those eyes; he’s a beautiful, X-rated fairy-tale. But beauty is a magnificent smokescreen.

And a fairy-tale is just that… a tale.

It’s never as simple as happily ever after,

not when you’re meeting Mr Anderson.

This is a steamy, standalone, contemporary romance intended for readers aged 18 and over.




DISCOVERING MR. X

Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

Whoever said money can’t buy happiness has never sold their worn stockings.

Selling every pair to an anonymous buyer whilst working as a long-haul flight attendant means my lifelong dream is in reach.

A home to call my own.

It’s so close I can almost feel that front door key in my hand.

Until a giant ego in an overpriced suit steals that dream.

He’s smug, cocky, infuriating…

everything I hate.

I do what I must.

I declare war.

But no one ever truly wins on the battlefield.

There will be casualties.

He believes he has me.

I think I know him.

We are both wrong.

It soon becomes clear that discovering who we are to each other isn’t as straightforward as X marks the spot.

★★★★★

This is a standalone steamy romance, which is part of an interconnecting series. (The Men Series.) It is intended for readers aged 18 years and over.




DRAWN TO MR. KING

Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

♥Jaxon King is a work of art—beautiful, unique… priceless.♥

I meet him when he admires my artwork at a hotel opening.

He’s older, sophisticated… a gentleman.

At least he is with his clothes on.

Out of them… well, that’s a masterpiece in itself.

But even a connection as strong as ours means nothing once the champagne wears off.

A promise to call me.

Then… nothing.

When he turns up as my new boss on the biggest project of my career, I try my hardest to turn the page and leave him in the past.

Only, he isn’t a memory I can simply erase.

No matter how hard I try.

We have this pull to one another… two colours that merge and create something heavenly.

But he screws up the paper and leaves me crumpled… torn.

Maybe it’s all an illusion and I should erase him from my heart once and for all?

If only we could draw our own path through life.

Start over.

But it’s never as simple as erasing the past, not when you’re drawn to Mr. King.

This is a steamy, contemporary romance intended for readers aged 18 years and older.
CW - Cancer, pregnancy, grief




CAPTURED BY MR. WILD

Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

There are men. And then there’s Blake Anderson.

He was my best friend.

Until I left.

Ten years apart have turned him into a handsome, rugged, tattooed wall of muscle.

He even has his own fan club, following the success of his smash-hit TV survival show.

They call him Mr. Wild.

One night he shows me just how wild.

For a moment, I almost believe in magic again.

Almost.

But those years away have changed me too.

I’m not the girl he once knew.

I thought escaping my past would stop me from feeling trapped.

What if being captured by Mr. Wild is the only thing that can set me free?

What to expect - friends to lovers, emotion, muscles, dirt, tattoos, gray sweatpants, wilderness, al-fresco 'scenes', self discovery, a beautiful labrador, and of course, a happy ever after, because love always wins.




PLEASING MR. PARKER

Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

“You are mine, Sweetheart. You were always going to be mine.”

They say don’t mix business with pleasure. But I bet they never had to work with Griffin Parker.

He headhunts me to manage the spa in his iconic New York hotel,

The Songbird.

It’s a dream opportunity.

But he’s a nightmare in a designer suit.

We clash spectacularly when he refuses to give up control.

He doesn’t trust me. I don’t like him.

Until one day we manage to work together, and an idea grows wings.

And the things he says…

Oh God.

I’ve spent my life fighting back against the repercussions of pleasing other people. Yet, I find myself doing exactly that.

Because when Mr. Parker is pleased with you the rest of the world drifts away.

He tells me I belong to him. But he doesn’t tell me if I will survive him.

No one can tell me that.

He didn’t get to be one of the most powerful businessmen in New York easily.

He has enemies.

I’m flying straight into a storm.

And I don’t even want to stop myself.

★★★★★

What to Expect: A billionaire alpha bosshole, the beautiful New York City, glamor, money, diamonds, filthy talking hero, praise, secrets and lies, tropical getaways, friendships, groveling, pigeons, and a happily ever after, because love always wins.



TRAPPED WITH MR. WALKER

Get your copy today!
Available in Kindle Unlimited!

BLURB:

“You need to understand something, Angel. Once you let me touch you, there’s no going back.”

Reed Walker, notorious playboy is running for New York Mayor.

He wants to deflect attention away from his less than wholesome image. The past has no place when you’re trying to win the people’s vote.

So he propositions me.

Pretend to be his girlfriend until election day. Help him to look dependable, trustworthy, loving; someone people can relate to.

It should be easy. I’ve spent years playing a role. What’s one more?

But slowly I begin to glimpse the man beneath the suit and perfect smile.

And what I discover takes my breath away.

There is more to Reed Walker than I ever dreamed.

Good and bad.

Light and dark.

Everything I know is reversed.

And suddenly I’m forced into making the hardest decision of my life.

And his.

I thought I knew what I wanted.

But I never factored in getting trapped with Mr. Walker.

★★★★★

What to expect – Suits, spice, scandal, singing, pink fluff, houseplants, sloths, letting go of the past, healing, forgiveness, trusting your instincts, redemption, a love so deep it makes your eyes water, and of course, a happily ever after because love always wins.




TIME WITH MR. SILVER

Get your copy today!
https://amzn.to/3LOzsQp


BLURB:

“Whoever said time heals… lied.

And the man I’m stuck working for might be the biggest liar of them all.”

After my actions wreck my family they send me to England, hoping the space will enable me to forgive myself and embrace life again.

But the man I start working for is far from a savior.

Dax Silver, head of the UK’s largest gin distillery, is as captivating as he is intense, his skin covered in ink, his eyes stained with secrets.

I can tell by the condescending way he calls me ‘Sunbeam’ that he wants me to keep my distance.

A warning.

Because I’m not the only one who’s become accustomed to living in the shadows.

And as much as he tries to hide it, I see him.

His tattoos may cover his external scars.

But it’s his internal ones I recognize—ugly and poisonous, like mine.

It’s like looking at a reflection—and neither side can exist without the other.

Maybe this is where I’m destined to be—a salvation.

Or maybe it’s all an illusion, a trick of the light.

Only time with Mr. Silver will reveal the truth.

★★★★★

What to expect – Lies and secrets, suspense, hard truths, silver linings, clouds, memories, mirrors, revenge, forgiveness, self-acceptance, sunrises, balloons, and the promise of another’s heart for infinity, because love always wins.




RESISTING MR. RICH

Release Date: April 2, 2024

PRE-ORDER your copy today!
https://amzn.to/3Vw5mnV


Blurb coming soon


No comments:

Post a Comment