Sunday, May 2, 2021

INTERVIEW with LOLITA THORNE


I want to thank Lolita Thorne for taking the time to answer my interview questions!  💗


I knew when I read Lolita Thorne's book THE BILLIONAIRE BLOOPERS that she was going on My Favorite Authors list!
  
If you want a laugh-out-loud romance then go no further!!!  

You also probably don't want to be in a public place. 
 
I hope you enjoy this interview as much as I did!!!


When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I've always loved reading.  I use to take out four big books from the library every Friday!  Creative English was my favorite class in high school, and that's when I began writing short stories.  From there, my passion just grew.  I didn't know I was going to be a full time writer until about four years ago when I found out about self publishing, wrote my first book ( a sci fi, eek!) and published it.  That feeling is so amazing...I was instantly hooked.  From there I've grown as a writer, and started writing romance.


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

Yes, but you'll probably think they're very strange for a romance writer, LOL.  I loved horror and fantasy growing up, as well as medical thrillers.  So my favorite authors back then were Terry Pratchett, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Graham Masterton, James Herbert, Robin Cook, and Robert Jordan.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Nope!  I'm the most introverted recluse you'll ever meet!  I know very few people in real life.  Fiction is my chance to escape and, well, I guess meet new people.  I'm also a bit of a voyeur, LOL.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I can't say there's any one place.  Because of my genre, usually I'll have a trope in mind and then start building a story around that.  But I can be inspired by things like movies, TV series, or a song.  They're all strands that I weave together.  Sometimes (very rarely) there might be a few geniune moments from my own life too.


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I start with an outline, but more often than not that goes out the window once my characters find their voice.  Then I just have to hold on and enjoy the ride!


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Nope.  I can get lost for hours on Pinterest, so I've banned myself from that.  Just like the flow of the book itself, the characters can reveal themselves to me - facial features, quirks, voices.


Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.   What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Writing!  It's stressful, but it's cathartic at the same time.  I love getting lost in my WIP and losing chunks of time stuck in their world.  It's like virtual reality---but better.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I have very little time to read at the moment, so I mostly refill my well with television.  (sad but true).  Also, my tastes are eclectic, so I'd cosy up with a horror movie or a drama series more often than not.  My favorites are Breaking Bad, The Office, ATypical, Sex Education.


What are your favorite books by others?

See above, LOL.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

I live in South Africa, and there are some similarities between Hibiscus Bay and Durban, for sure.  But I mostly create places out of my head.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

Multiple POV.  I love showing the story from both the hero and heroine's point of view!


What do you find to be your best research tool?

YouTube!  Googling something is cool, but I love immercing myself in whatever I'm researching (like the inside of a Bentley limosine, LOL) because it makes my storytelling much more realistic.


Do you write under a pen name?

Yup!


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

Romantic comedy.  I love quirky characters and the shenanigans they get up to!  I can also stretch belief a little bit more with a rom-com (at least, my readers are more forgiving when I do).


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Get your first book written.  Don't fuss over it.  Then start with your next.  I only started seeing success with my seventh book.  You become a much better writer the more you write, and trust me, as hung up as you are on your first book baby...you'll have PLENTY to get hooked on.


No comments:

Post a Comment