Sunday, May 9, 2021

INTERVIEW with HAYSON MANNING


I want to thank Hayson Manning for taking time for this interview


BIO:

I love Princess Bride, Naked and Afraid (where I'd never be a contestant), 
I sob through Undercover Boss, Secret Millionaire---any show where the little guy makes it.

I'm a card-carrying member of the Buffalo Bills mafia.

Showjumping and equestrian events are my crack.

I like ironing, hate peas, and adore donkeys. 

I play a mean game of Scrabble (I think).

I eat nothing with legs and believe wine goes with everything.

I'm an expert at finding new and inventive ways to avoid exercise (my hair hurts)
.
I live with the Fake Gordon Ramsay in California and hail from New Zealand
(head toward Antarctica and when you hit Australia, hang a left).



When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I used to love writing as a child and when I had my first child I took it up seriously.  I thought the manuscript was the best thing ever!  It was absolutely dreadful.  😊


Did you have any influencing writers growing up?

I used to sneak my mom's Jackie Collins and Lace by Shirley Conran - wow what an eye-opener.  It was the raciest thing I'd ever sneak read and I loved it.  What a page-turner.  I think my love of reading came from sneaking mom's books.


Are any of your characters based on people in real life?

Not directly, but there's always a little snippet of people I've met, some years ago who've stayed with me.  Mostly Harmless Pete from Bound to Her Fake Fiance Boss was based on a veteran I knew.  Like Pete, he was the gentlest soul who came from the war a changed man.


Where do you draw your book inspirations from?

I generally start with the tropes and the characters.  Jason and Asia were so different in their outlooks on life.  I adored them sparring with each other as they fought their attraction.  I love a trope.  Give me all the tropes!  Boss-employee.  A direct conflict there, so perfect!  Both Asia and Jason have such different personalities.  Jason is closed off and see's the world through scowl lines and only wears black.  Asia is optimistic and sees the positive in people.  I adored writing these two!


Do you use have a basic outline when starting a new story or do you let the characters lead the way?

I have an extensive project sheet and the book is pretty much plotted out.  In saying that I do tend to take sidestreets and add different layers.  Every book has its own journal as I tend to write things on Post-it's and have a million of them scattered around the office.


When you are picturing the characters in your book, do you have a cheater photo for inspiration?

Photos attached.  I tend to have a picture of my hero and heroine in my head then spend hours on photo stock websites finding them.  It's the best time waste apart from looking at videos of baby goats ever.


ASIA - Bound to her Fake Fiance Boss

JASON - Bound to her Fake Fiance Boss

Many people read as a form of escape and relaxation.   What is your favorite way to sit back and relax?

Reading.  I take forty-five minutes every date to take time out and read across all genres.  I've finished our book club book the Rose Code which I really enjoyed.  I cried and laughed.  Book club is tonight.  I can't wait to see what's next.


Who are your favorite current authors to read?

I've just binged Annika Martin's Billionaire series.  What a joy to read.  My bestie Samanthe Beck has a book coming out on Monday Wet and Reckless which I can't wait to get into.


Do the locations in the stories have any meaning to you?

In Bound to her Fake Fiance Boss, I wanted to write about a story set in Los Angeles where I live.  I know the area and the geography and I love L.A. and wanted to shine some love on one of my favorite cities.

Wife in Name Only is set in Tonga which where I'd vacationed - the best place in the world to kickback.  No electricity, internet, just us and the kids and board games.  I am never playing another game of Monopoly in my life just quietly.

Winning the Boss's Heart is set in New Zealand where I'm originally from, where people still wave to you when you drive by.  I miss it.


Do you write in single or multiple POV?

I write in both multiple POVs.  I'll ask the fake Gordon Ramsey on dude stuff.  Would you say mauve?  I ask.  Nope.  Purple he replies.  This is disappointing because mauve is such a different color.  I left it in any way.


What do you find to be your best research tool?

The internet!  So much time-wasting (sorry I meant to say research) is to be had on the internet.


Do you write under a pen name?

I do.  I don't ever want my kids reading my stuff.  Good Lord it would be the worst!  Also, I get emails and direct messages from creepy guys, so I like to keep my privacy.


What genre do you write and why is this your preference?

I like to write sexy contemporary romance with alpha dudes and the women who bring them to their knees.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Don't give up.  Don't take all the advice given.  I was always told you should write in the morning.  The afternoon is better for me.

Read, read and read.  Your genre, other genres.  I grumbled about reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss that my oldest challenged me to read.  I LOVED it.  And I don't read coming of age Fantasy books.

Learn your craft.

Join groups of like-minded people.  Share your work with a critique partner.  

Never let anyone try to change your voice.  It's your unique gift and yours alone.

Don't give up!  This is a long-haul business.  Yes, there are overnight success stories we all want to be, but the truth is you have to keep putting out the next books.



I hope you enjoyed this interview!

Check out all my interviews reviews for Hayson Manning!

Make sure to give Hayson Manning a shout out and FOLLOW her on social media!

Connect w/ Hayson:


Newsletter Sign-Up here and get the first book in the series Bound to the Bounty Hunter:  


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me. I had a blast. Hayson xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate that you took time for the interview! Thank you again!!!

    ReplyDelete